[MPlayer-dev-eng] container format

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Feb 6 18:06:01 CET 2003

Hi

On Thursday 06 February 2003 17:22, Mark Zealey wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 04:48:58PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > anyway, first draft of the MPlayer container format is in
> > DOCS/tech/mpcf.txt comments VERY welcome :)
>
> Few ideas:-
> 1) From a purely readability perspective - could you put your type
> definitions at the top of the file...
ok

> 2) Why does sz always have to be at least 1 character long - why cant it
> just be a null?
mpeg startcode emulation (if we allow 0 then there could be 0,0,1 which is a
startcode prefix in mpeg) perhaps we should drop the startcode emu thing,
dunno

> 3) Much as i don't like the ogg container format - could we have something
> like theirs whereby all of the title and author and so on are just stored
> in one text area, a header type with some standard headers like 'Author:'
> and 'Title:', \n-seperated, or maybe \0 seperated with a byte-count before
> the text.
ok

> 4) Possible use of compression on text, for example the headers (point 3)
> and the subtitles.. The compression would be done on the whole text basis
> and then maybe split up into the parts. Of course, the compression would
> only be done where it was favourable...
the headers are compressed, they surely could be compressed more but IMHO, its
not worth it, the 10k or so of repeated headers in a 600mb file dont really
matter, and the subtitles are considered as a normal stream like video so
they can be just encoded differently (invent a bzip2 based subtitle format
but thats idependant of the container ...)
the info stuff like description needs some more thoughts, but i doubt that its
large enough for the extra comlexity to be worth it even if its repeated a
lot

[...]

Michael