[MPlayer-dev-eng] container format

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Feb 6 21:03:04 CET 2003

Hi

On Thursday 06 February 2003 19:59, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 06:06:01PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > 2) Why does sz always have to be at least 1 character long - why cant
> > > it just be a null?
> >
> > mpeg startcode emulation (if we allow 0 then there could be 0,0,1 which
> > is a startcode prefix in mpeg) perhaps we should drop the startcode emu
> > thing, dunno
>
> What's the purpose of mpeg startcode emulation? Does this somehow
> allow a raw mpeg audio or video decoder to play our files without any
> particular demuxing? If so, this sounds like a worthwhile benefit --
> mp3 inside mpcf would be playable by most legacy players, plus it
> would be seekable by mpcf-aware players. But perhaps I
> misunderstand...
yes, that was the idea, but there are problems
1. i dunno if it will work at all ..
2. there is a video & audio stream normally so one would confuse the playback
of the other very likely, but IMHO, its worth a try to see if a mp3 or
mpeg-es player would correctly play a stream from a mpcf file ...

[...]

Michael