[MPlayer-dev-eng] lidbha/dhahelper/vidix future

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 6 21:25:59 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 08:02:12PM +0100, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've great plans with the above:
>  * new structure of libdha (more readable, selectable ways, ...)
>  * implementing mapdev.vxd in GPL with source ;)
>  * merging MPlayer dhahelper + MPXP dhahelper + svgalib_helper
>  * libdha (w/dhahelper) as an individual project!
>    (so all the players should include it as an external library)
>  * vidix as an individual project (with an api redesign ;)

Can we please support building the drivers as kernel modules on Linux
and perhaps a few BSD's as well? Doing this stuff in userspace with a
helper module exporting all the video registers is not a good design.
:(

It's still ok to access it thru a lib and do raw hardware access from
userspace on unsupported systems or if the user really wants to, but
it's much better (from a permissions perspective) to do it in the
kernel and then you can also use interrupts.

Rich