[MPlayer-dev-eng] container format

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Feb 6 21:43:52 CET 2003

Hi,

> > > Second point are some small suggestions about indeces. I think, we
> > > should place the index at the end of the file. Having it at the
> > > beginning would be nice for playback, but it would be a nightmare to
> > > correctly mux this.
> > IMHO, we could allow both, and even allow the index to be repeated
>
> Muxing index at beginning shouldn't be hard assuming you know movie
> length. Just estimate number of keyframes at the beginning and leave
> an appropriate size space, then go back and write it at the end.

disagree
it's hard to estimate (esp. if you even compress index, and/or use
scene-chanege detection) and it wastes space (because you have to allocate
more space than estimated to be sure it will fit)

anyway since this format is raw seekable, the index has no much use anyway.
it's far enough to place it at the end.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

    "However, many people beg for its inclusion in Debian. Why?" - Gabucino
  "Because having new software in Debian is good." - Josselin Mouette
"Because having good software in Debian is new." - Gabucino