[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF Draft/Discussion (MPlayer Container Format)

Fabien Tassin fta+mplayer at sofaraway.org
Fri Feb 7 11:17:23 CET 2003

According to Michael Niedermayer:

> > - choose a better name. Something sexy or funny but not tied to any
> agree
>
> > particular OS or SW. What about EGG ? it will give you a 3 letters
> > extention and isn't an egg the better container ever ? You could also see
> > it as Extended OGG. In any cases, it should be pronounceable and/or easy to
> > remember.
> egg sounds nice, ...
> other options:
> IVA (AVI backward)

or AIV for "AIV Is Video"
   AIC for "AIC Is a Container"

> AME (Advanced media egg)

lame

> COLA
> 10L

mplayer(-dev-eng) centric

> btw, we allso should be carefull not to violate and lame trademarks ...

I can't agree more.

> > - in addition to the optionnnal-but-recommanded index (which, like Arpi,
> > I think it is better to have it at the end), try to allow optionnal
> > chaptering with stop points flags. A player ignoring those chapters will

> hmm, i dont like that, IMHO chapter info should be in optional packets, so
> simple players dont have to know anything about it

didn't I said the same thing with "try to allow optionnal chaptering" ?

> > play the file from the beginning to the end. Another supporting them will
> > stop, allowing some extra/bonus/alternate sequences to be tied to the video
> > and read on-demand. Even better, if it is possible to tie a still picture
> > and some sort of script, you could build a real menu with a single file
> > (easier to transport). I see chapters different from index as index uses
> > fixed size cells and chapter cells, because of titles, could have variable
> > lengths.

> scripts: very bad idea IMHO, (complex, security, useless)

no system() stuff, no external link. Just a way to define a link
from a bounding box or entry in a list to an offet (chapter or index).
Even without still picture, could be useful with "-menu" like OSD screen :)

> menus:   can be done with info packets, just specify with info packets that
> some part of the file is an alternative, if the player supports it than it
> could let the user select between them ...

fully agree.

> version is there, its called version, just grep

yes, like I said, I wrote this before reading your doc.

/Fabien