[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF Draft/Discussion (MPlayer ContainerFormat)

michael c mrcole20 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 12:42:17 CET 2003

Hi,

I must say, I think I agree with Fabien that the file format should not
close the door on advanced features. The only thing that should be kept in
mind is that those features should not make everything over-complicated.

I propose that there could be another stream type (named "generic" or
something), in which additional features could then be implemented. Then, if
some programs don't support these features, these streams could simply be
ignored; the programs don't even need to know anything about their format.
There could be, for example, a menu stream (fourcc "MENU" or so), which
contains a menu in whatever format you might come up with. Or a chapter
stream (fourcc "CHAP"?) which contains the chapter info. Those streams would
only have one packet, of course. If cou come up with a better format for
those, you could simply pick a different fourcc, so everything's open for
everyhting, without simple programs having to know about these advanced
things. They just implement what they need/want.
Even the index could be well off as one of those generic streams. Just put
the index into one packet; the header tells you where it is, you can put it
wherever you want, and you can repeat it as often as you want.

I guess I'm not a pro when it comes to file formats, but this sounds like
the easiest and most extensible way?

mike