[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF Draft/Discussion (MPlayer ContainerFormat)

michael c mrcole20 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 7 18:13:01 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>To elaborate, I'm not opposed to leaving things open for stupid crap
>like this to be included in the file (AFAIK it's already possible with
>new streams or startcodes), but I do want to ensure that support for
>this nonsense does not become necessary to play files. The spec should
>require (with "MUST") that the actual movie and and audio track(s) to
>go with it be the first streams in the file, and that the file be
>playable without any menu/script/titlescreen/stillpic/commentary/etc.
>crap since mplayer probably won't bother with supporting that junk. I
>don't want to go download a COOLA movie and find that I have to sort
>thru lots of extra junk to try to find the actual movie, like people
>have to do with some poorly designed DVDs right now...

Hmm, sorry if my intentions came across the wrong way. This is basically
what my thoughts were. leave room for extensions (who knows what we concider
useful in a few years?), but don't let them stand in the way of the main
purpose (just playing the file). maybe some of my thoughts were silly, but
the intentions were good ;-)

mike