[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer shouldn't need the "-fps" option so often

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sat Feb 8 11:57:47 CET 2003

When I play RTP video streams using MPlayer, it usually complains if I
don't give it the "-fps <frame-rate>" argument.  However, in many cases, it
really shouldn't be needing this.

For example, when I play a local ".mov" file, I don't need to give MPlayer
the "-fps" option.  However, if I play the same file using RTP (streamed
from a QuickTime (aka. Darwin) Streaming Server), I have to use
"-fps".  But the actual frame rate that I specify (using "-fps") doesn't
seem to matter.  Any <frame-rate> value will work.

Example:
1/ Download and play <http://www.live.com/m2.mov>: No "-fps" is needed.
2/ Stream <rtsp://www.live.com/m2.mov>.  "-fps" is needed, but it doesn't
matter what value I give it.

Would it be possible to fix MPlayer so that it doesn't complain about
"-fps" unless it really needs it?

	Ross.