[MPlayer-dev-eng] packaging cygwin mplayer

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sat Feb 8 16:15:24 CET 2003

Hello!

I've been up all night obsessively finishing a package for cygwin
mplayer.  I want to make it clear that I hope this is decent work, but
that I can make no guarantees because I haven't slept at all.  If you
don't like it, that's fine.  I don't consider this to be release quality
yet.  In fact, I'm totally prepared for the possiblity that no one other
than myself thinks this is a good idea.  That happens to me a lot.  :)
</DISCLAIMER>

So, that being said, here's what I've got:
I made a small set of patches against CVS today that help me deal with
issues I came across in the packaging.  _These are not for inclusion in
CVS._  I patched and compiled a static binary with runtime cpu-detection
and boxed it up with an app that hides the console window and made a
nifty installer based on Inno. (it's free, I don't have the URL handy.)
MPlayer installs, associates itself with media file types (not
configurable yet, it doesn't even ask { AND YES, THIS WILL TAKE OVER
YOUR FILE ASSOCIATIONS, BEWARE} ), and when you launch them you get
a directx window, no console, and win32 audio output with framedrop on.
OSD is enabled and fonts are installed, and all the expected input
bindings are in effect.  On the boxen I've tested on so far, it actually
plays very well.

One problem I had, though, was unsupported video codecs.  When I found
one of those, I got only audio, with no video window.  And since I was
having the console window hidden, there was no way to quit MPlayer.  :)
So, I added in a hack that creates enough of a fake decoder in these
cases to keep the vo open for control of the audio.  I would like to
eventually replace this with an image that says "Video stream not
available" or some such thing, but right now it's a black box.

Also, I've included Real DLLs in this package, but I have not tested
them at all.

All this and more can be found at http://joey.nicewarrior.org/cygmp/,
and I can also post any of these things to the list if requested.
What you'll find is the installer exe, source to the wrapper app that
hides the console, the bad patches I used, and possibly some logs.

That's all for now.  Any feedback is appreciated.
But now, I _must_ sleep.  :)
--Joey