[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer shouldn't need the "-fps" option so often

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Sat Feb 8 19:25:40 CET 2003

> > Would it be possible to fix MPlayer so that it doesn't complain about
> > "-fps" unless it really needs it?
>
>it's demuxer problem, probably you don't fill sh_video->fps and ->frametime
>in your demuxer

Unfortunately, in most cases I just don't *know* what the frame rate is
going to be.  Only the code (elsewhere) that subsequently starts
decoding/playing the video will know this.

I suppose I *could* set "sh_video->fps" to some arbitrary value (and
"->frametime" to be the reciprocal of this), because in many (most?) cases,
MPlayer seems to play the video OK, no matter what value I give it.  But
this seems like a hack.  I don't really know for which codecs it's OK for
me to give "->fps" an arbitrary, bogus value, and for which codecs I should
leave it unset, so that MPlayer can tell the user that he neds to use "-fps".

It would be better to have the video decoding code not complain about
"-fps" unless/until it really needs it.

         Ross.