[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: container format

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Sun Feb 9 00:01:16 CET 2003

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>>But all of a sudden people come up with 'their own, much better' solution.
>
> better? its hard to awnser, i have never seen a working implementation of mcf
> or matroska, just incredible amounts of mails on every list from u on how
> good it is
>
> btw, a nice quote from monty, which is still very appropriate (since mcf
> started...)
> "Step one: Achieve something. Step two: toot horn"

See my post about the other road we chose to get to the same point.

Most of the work on specs is done (changes are sometimes added depending
on the conversation we manage to have with people with different
backgrounds). The coding step has started 2 months ago. And we now have
some working code to mux and demux data (from today).

Achieving the specs is already a large amount of work (you'll notice
that when your format is finally ready). And you probably also noticed
that we were much quieter than for MCF in our announcements. We learned
the lesson and don't want to frustrate people more. That's why we're
waiting more for the real world announcement too... And now we get
critisized for not saying we have some working code :(