[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] Re: lavc-Options for *BEST*

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Sun Feb 9 12:02:52 CET 2003

On 03.02.09 Steve Lhomme pressed the following keys:

> I've personally been influenced a lot by BeOS and OpenBeOS. If you ever
> used this OS, you'll notice how fast it is (and not much memory hungry).
> It's all written in C++.

There is speed and there is responsiveness. They are two distinct things.
While linux and freebsd are much faster about low level system work it's
clear as day that they are that their responsiveness is very poor in the
least obvious conditions[1].

This is a serious design flaw, but it has nothing to do with speed.

> As long as the basis is good, there's no reason for a C++ program to be
> bad. I don't think I'm a very good C++ programmer, but I do my best.

I disagree because I've seen how a well written OO GUI can be fast,
responsive and memory-footprint-friendly.

Robert

PS. My background is Amiga OS with its goodies (BOOPSI, MUI, BGUI).
Since that time I watch how even the simplest things are reinvented
again and again, rarelly better.

[1] fire up Mozilla or Galeon; switch to xterm and start copying
 2G or bigger file between partitions (be it two HDD or NFS volumes);
 try to switch to the browser at the end of copying.

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35