[MPlayer-dev-eng] NEEDS DECISION: liba52 upgrade?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Feb 10 02:06:48 CET 2003

Hi,

The liba52 CVS contains algorith-level optimized code (including optional
integer-only implementation of teh decoder) but with no CPU-specific
(3dnow/sse/etc) optimizations. Walken (maintainer) said that his C-only
but algo-level optimized code is/may be faster than our hardcore asm
optimized version based on the old C code.

Anyway we agreed on that improvements of both trees should be merged somehow.
The question: is anyone interested/capable of porting the asm optims to the
new liba52? Imho it shouldn't be hard, but requires basic asm knowledge and
knowledge of that code... maybe Michael could help, unless he's too busy
with libavcodec. But dunno about the 3dnow part, any volunteers?

Should I replace current liba52 in 'main' mplayer tree by the cvs liba52,
or clone liba52 as a new tree at mphq?
It would be easier to commit to liba52 SF project directly but Walken wants
patches not commits :(

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

    "However, many people beg for its inclusion in Debian. Why?" - Gabucino
  "Because having new software in Debian is good." - Josselin Mouette
"Because having good software in Debian is new." - Gabucino