[MPlayer-dev-eng] NFS client optimised for Video!

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Feb 10 14:11:25 CET 2003

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 07:56:20AM -0500, Roche_John1 at emc.com wrote:
> Hi,
>      I am trying to write a NFS server over TCP/IP which will be optimised
> for video transfers.
> i.e. it will send small blocks first so that Mplayer can begin playback
> quickly instead
> of currently having to wait for a large block to transfer which can take
> ages.

???  rsize= parameter does this
(man nfs, at least on Linux)
I think your project is really usefull.
1. you can set many options, like rsize=, so your can finetune the existing
   stuff
2. NFS is very complicated. If you want to make a network "filesystem"
   optimized for video, you should develope an own protocol, simplificated
   enough, leaving almost every advanced function of NFS (which is not
   required for a simple playing)
3. Also, if you want only this, you may should left almost everything from
   NFS "standard" so it's more simply to create a different protocol for
   this :)

Besides these, at our company, I'm using several servers mounted on NFS
(via 100mbit LAN, but several routers and switches between them) to play
movies from, and I almost can't realize any delay you've written about.

> Does anybody know of a similar project or where I can get the source for a
> NFS V3 client to modify.

NFS client? Eg in Linux kernel source ...

- Gábor (larta'H)