[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Tue Feb 11 08:22:26 CET 2003

>--[D Richard Felker III]--<dalias at aerifal.cx>
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 10:01:59PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> > >--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>

> > > -	$(INSTALL) -c -m 644 DOCS/mplayer.1 $(MANDIR)/man1/mplayer.1
> > > +	$(INSTALL) -c -m 644 DOCS/$(LANGUAGE)/mplayer.1 $(MANDIR)/man1/mplayer.1
> > No. You need to install the localized man pages into the proper
> > subdirectories, that is, DOCS/$(LANGUAGE)/mplayer.1 into
> > $(MANDIR)/$(LANGUAGE)/man1/mplayer.1 and so on. Actually, you could ship
> > with all man pages at the same time, because man will automatically select
> > the right one.
> Huh? I've never heard of this before.

Welcome to the world of multi user systems.

> It sounds like Linux-specific nonsense, not a standard behavior of man...

Calling the only useful way to select the language of your man pages to be
nonsense sounds rather ignorant to me. I don't know whether only Linux does
it that way, but even if your man does not support it out of the box you can
make it so by feeding it the MANPATH with locale-specific subdirectories
first. Actually, I've never seen localized man page in the POSIX
directories.

It's a rather confusing trend on this mailing list that developers call
everything nonsense that they don't understand.

Yours, Rüdiger.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.