[MPlayer-dev-eng] dynamic A/V sync possibility in EDL

Michael Halcrow mah69 at email.byu.edu
Wed Feb 12 16:13:46 CET 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 05:06, Kövesdi György wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if the EDL file format is a standard or not (i don't
> want to violate any standards)

I did not think out the EDL format very carefully. I just needed
something that worked while I coded the actual functionality. I would
prefer the format to be XML-based, so you could have a format that looks
something like this:

<edlentry>
        <action>0</action>
        <start unit=second>34.4</start>
        <end unit=second>35.2</end>
        <category>advertisement</category>
</edlentry>

or:

<edlentry>
        <action>
                <libmpcodec name="boxblur" params="3:4"/>
        </action>
        <start unit=frame>1002</start>
        <duration unit=second>2.5</duration>
</edlentry>

or:

<edlentry>
        <action>2</action>
        <start unit=frame>2420</start>
        <!-- Zero length -->
</edlentry>

>, but i added a feature which can
> change the A/V sync during playback and encoding too. I think it can
> (at least temporarily) resolve some A/V sync problems.

I've thought about doing this. Actually, with an XML format, it would
not be hard to modify EDL to be able to perform *any* operation that
MPlayer can do. Like change the brightness/contrast, change A/V sync,
change volume, etc.

So... anyone up for this? :-)

Mike

--
Michael Halcrow                          | mhalcrow at byu.edu
Research Assistant, Network Security Lab | Dept. of Comp. Science
                                         | Brigham Young University
"A jury consists of twelve persons       |
chosen to decide who has the better      |
lawyer."                                 |
  - Robert Frost                         |
GnuPG Keyprint:  05B5 08A8 713A 64C1 D35D  2371 2D3C FDDA 3EB6 601D