[mplayer-dev-eng] Re: install localized manpages +

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Fri Feb 14 09:29:16 CET 2003

>--[D Richard Felker III]--<dalias at aerifal.cx>
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 01:11:50PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> > >--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
> > > So how should 'make install' behave? Install the english version as the
> > > default version in '/usr/local/man/man1'? And why can't be the russian,
> > > polish, french, etc. version, the default version for all locales?
> > Install the English version as default in $(mandir)/man1, and all selected
> > man pages (via $LINGUAS, which should default to all except English if unset)
> > into their respective subdirectory. If you don't want to check for $LINGUAS,
> > just install all of them. (man pages aren't large anyway, and it's up to
> > a packager to remove them if he doesn't like them, or put them into a
> > -doc package).

> It's just a mess and wastes time and disk space and leads to clutter.

It's neither a mess nor a notable waste of disc space. I doubt it is
clutter as well. Just set $LINGUAS to empty, problem solved.

> The default should be to install ONLY the language selected at compile
> time, in the $mandir/man1, and then optionally install others with some
> (disabled-by-default) configure option.

No. Have a look at how internationalized programs work. E.g. the configure
stuff created by gettext.

And (regarding another post): mplayer _has_ to make those directories for
staged installs. Testing their existance is rather fragile.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.
  mailto:ruediger at ruediger-kuhlmann.de