[mplayer-dev-eng] Re: install localized manpages +

Rüdiger Kuhlmann mplayer-list-UGa6JdjLujS2 at ruediger-kuhlmann.de
Fri Feb 14 20:19:49 CET 2003

>--[D Richard Felker III]--<dalias at aerifal.cx>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 09:29:16AM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> > >--[D Richard Felker III]--<dalias at aerifal.cx>
> > > It's just a mess and wastes time and disk space and leads to clutter.
> > It's neither a mess nor a notable waste of disc space. I doubt it is
> > clutter as well. Just set $LINGUAS to empty, problem solved.
> This is a silly and unnecessary step.

This is neither silly, nor unnecessary. It is the proper behaviour.
And again, you flame what you don't understand.

> NO OTHER PROGRAM has ever created /usr/[local]/man/$lang dirs on my
> system,

Then you don't have localized programs on your machine.

$ ll /usr/share/man/de/man1 | wc -l
    157
$ ll /usr/share/man/de/man2 | wc -l
    156
$ ll /usr/share/man/de/man3 | wc -l
    284
$ ll /usr/share/man/de/man4 | wc -l
     18
$ ll /usr/share/man/de/man5 | wc -l
     32
$ ll /usr/share/man/de/man6 | wc -l
      2
$ ll /usr/share/man/de/man7 | wc -l
     17
$ ll /usr/share/man/de/man8 | wc -l
      9

One of those man pages, by the way, are the man pages from xine.

> so obviously they know they're not supposed to automatically.

This seems to be not the first time in this thread that you're simply wrong.

> I suggest you figure out how to properly do this if you want mplayer to
> install multi-lingual manuals!

Don't you notice that you're the only one in this thread not understanding
it?

> If there's not an acceptable fix soon, I'll just commit a patch to
> make it install the English man page for now, duplicating the old
> behavior. Then we can worry about this later.

A mostly correct patch was already posted.

Yours, Rüdiger.

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.