[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 2, Issue 82

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Feb 14 20:41:04 CET 2003

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:07:03PM -0700, Alex Tribble wrote:
> > This is a silly and unnecessary step. NO OTHER PROGRAM has ever
> > created /usr/[local]/man/$lang dirs on my system, so obviously they
> > know they're not supposed to automatically. I suggest you figure out
> > how to properly do this if you want mplayer to install multi-lingual
> > manuals!
>
> Then obviously you haven't installed a multilanguage system before.

I didn't say I have, and this is irrelevant. The point is that every
other piece of software out there is intelligent enough to figure out
that I do NOT have a multi-language system and therefore doesn't try
to install man pages in these locations!

> On my system, (a RedHat system) /usr/share/man/de/man* contain the
> German localized manpages. I realize now that the solution I sent in a
> few days ago doesn't handle this correctly - it installs the localized
> page in /usr/share/man/man1, which is not the correct behavior.
> As to it being unnecessary, I don't know about that. The idea is, man
> checks an environment variable, and delivers a copy of the localized man
> page to your terminal. This is very useful if users speaking different
> languages will be using your computer.

I agree it's useful. What I disgree with is incorrectly installing all
the translations on a user's system by default. If other programs know
not to do this, then mplayer's install should know not to do it as
well.

Rich