[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPCF: Features and Goals

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Fri Feb 14 21:23:43 CET 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:37:50 -0500
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> No. That's useless junk. No one sane would reduce video bitrate to
> fit some idiotic menu crap on the cd.

Clearly that is a matter of opinion. In future there may be plenty of
storage and adding "useless junk" may not be an issue.

> MJPEG is bad -- it will lose lots
> of quality. But if you really insist on using mjpeg or something,
> there's no reason mpcf won't meet your needs entirely for editing.

My hardware capture card creates mjpeg. It (or maybe the driver) is
not capable of capturing uncompressed video. However I am happy with
the quality. If, as you say, mpcf will meet my needs I will also be
happy. That's what I came here to find out/ensure.

> > It would be a shame if mpcf ends up a half-way house
> > that doesn't fully statisfy either camp.
>
> It definitely won't. Why don't you actually READ something before
> making such silly statements?

There are people who want "useless junk", I have READ some of them
here. I have also READ your comments against. Will everyone end up
statisfied then?

Martin