[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: container format MPCF ( mplayer media container format )

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Feb 17 02:55:43 CET 2003

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 11:15:47PM +0100, ChristianHJW wrote:

> "Michael Niedermayer" <michaelni at gmx.at> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:200302081955.40434.michaelni at gmx.at...
> > currently the index at the end is required for normal files (realtime
> streams
> > are an exception) but the index can be repeated if the muxer wants to
> repeat
> > it, this IMHO doesnt add any complexity to either the muxer or demuxer but
> > its more flexible for thouse crazy ppl who want a few copies of the index
> > Michael
>
> matroska Team came up with the very same solution. EBML allows us to repeat
> the meta seek tables ( = index ) as many times as we want in the file, but
> we normally write it at the end.

Will you please stop this already? EBML is not some sorta holy grail
that enables you to do this, it's just one (ugly and inefficient) way
of storing the necessary info for muxed a/v (plus lots of other junk
that doesn't need to exist on the muxer level). It's clear that
MPlayer developers are not interested in your matroska, so why do you
insist on trying to promote it over and over?

BTW, having a backup index at arbitrary location is useless since the
player won't know where to find it, unless you have a header at the
beginning pointing to the indices. Of course this is silly and just
wastes space since the index is redundant data that can be regenerated
if it's damaged.

Rich