[MPlayer-dev-eng] New filter vf_ivtc, smart dropping of every 5th

Johannes Guenther johannes.guenther at s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Feb 17 03:20:46 CET 2003

Arpi wrote:
> what about doung it in 2 passes?
> first pass would save the motion vectors (or the weightened absolute
> sum of them) and you use that info for teh second pass.
> duplicated frames have mostly 0;0 MVs while previous and next frame will
> have similar, non-zero MVs.

Interesting idea.

The cleanest way would be to initially scan the movie (no encoding is
needed) and record the differences to create a table of frames to drop
while encoding later. This should not take much time (now it would also
make sense to optimize the difference calculation / to use te optimized
functions from libavc). The dropping itself does not need a buffer any
more.

One may think of using the info from 'divx2pass.log' (as I did ;-) but
there are too many cons:
 - only usable when with using libavc and 2pass mode
 - even then the 'divx2pass.log' is hardly usable for the 2nd pass
   because it has records of frames which will be dropped (one can try
   to correct the info but this would be a nasty hack if possible at
   all: one have to think of changed key frame intervals, likely
   destroyed IBBPBBP... pattern and much more)

Bye,
	Johannes
--
http://beam.to/Hawk
PGP Key fingerprint = 2F 72 52 1C CF 86 96 35  8A DD 8E F5 C6 05 CE C5