[MPlayer-dev-eng] Smooth Fast-Forward/Slow-Motion

Raindel Shachar raindel at techunix.technion.ac.il
Tue Feb 11 17:28:34 CET 2003

Hi.
I have seen your discussion about Fast-Forward
(http://mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2003-February/015835.html).
I am working on it too, from a different direction: I have started to
patch libaf, so that it will handle the play-speed changes using the
SoundTouch library (http://www.sunpoint.net/~oparviai/soundtouch/), which
will allow speeding up the video, keeping the audio in sync and preventing
the pitch change (better than what you get when playing VHS in double
speed, isn't it?). I haven't finish it yet, but not much has left. I am
not near the box which I use for developing it, so I can't attach my patch
so far :-(. It seems like combining my patch with Struan Bartlett's one
will give the perfect result.

BTW: the magic numbers (the speed up/down factor, max/min speed) in
Struan Bartlett's patch should become a config option (IMHO).

BTW2: do we really want to reset the speed each time the user change
between speeding up and speeding down? I would like it to behave like a
knob, not like some very weird switch with a knob next to it.

BTW3: since you reminded EDL: does anybody work on it correctly? Do you
have any road-plan about how to expend it?