[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

Andreas Hess jaska at gmx.net
Tue Feb 18 10:52:35 CET 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 10:10:26AM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> >--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
> > Oh please, this sucks, I have no de fr hu etc. subdirs and I'm definitely
> > not interested in mplayer creating them. And I think most of the users feel
> > the same.
>
> No, they don't.

Huh? In this thread at least 4 different people said, that the current
way sucks. But feel free to lead me to a poll, where I can see, that the
general consensus is, that the majority of the users is happy, if they have
azerbaijanian, traditional chinese and cambodian manpages.

> If you don't want translated stuff, just set that
> environment variable once, and you'll be fine.

But once again why? Other programs don't force me to set this environment
variable to nothing, just to get no localized manpages. And I definitely
wouldn't be happy, if every program forces me to set unneeded environment
variables.

> No need to patch mplayer.

Why? I patch mplayer either way, so I have no problem having some more
lines in my local diff. And I also prefer this way, because it doesn't
force me to set nonsense environment variables.

> However, if you do want as much translation as possible, you need to change
> your options each time a new language is added. _That_ sucks, because the
> default is to want all translations - either because you're on a multi-user
> system (then you never know who else will have an account in the future,
> speaking just another different language), or you're packaging it, then you
> just can't make an mplayer-LL package for all possible LLs.

1) IMHO most mplayer users need just one manpage and don't want to have
   as much translation as possible.
2) I see no point in respecting the will of some translation freaks, who
   can't live with less than 20 translated manpages, over the will of the
   simple user, who is happy with just one manpage.
3) No, it isn't default to want all translations. _That_ sucks.
4) I work on a lot of multi-user systems and none of these systems has
   localization or defaults to having all translated packages installed,
   just because there could be the possibility, that there is someday a
   user who wants to learn azerbaijanian via manpages.

> This is the standard way, the way to go. If you don't like that, set your
> LINUGAS to empty, and you'll be fine. Or remove those installed directories.

Once again, if that's the way to go, why is mplayer the only program that
forces me to set a bogus environment variable to nothing? Maybe mplayer
is just ahead of time.

> [...] If you want to have a
> look for other programs doing it, look at xine.

Thanks a lot, one more argument why xine sucks. Maybe you should just switch
to xine, if you need as many localized manpages as possible so desperately.
And BTW, if you want to have a look for other programs don't doing it, look
at a lot of programs besides xine.

> It will just install all of
> them. So if you use LINGUAS, you'll even be better than xine, and you all
> want that, don't you?

No.

> And, btw, this is unrelated to Debian.

Why should it be related to Debian?