[mplayer-dev-eng] install localized manpages +

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Feb 19 06:54:00 CET 2003

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 12:41:46AM +0100, Dan Christiansen wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 08:19 PM, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >The majority of the people is always silent. Installing man pages of
> >neglectible size won't harm anyone. There are just a few morons like
> >you who
> >make a fuss about it because they can't be bothered to configure it
> >properly.
>
> Calling your opponent a moron does not make your point more valid. Yes,
> the majority is silent. No, that does not automatically mean they agree
> with you.

Most likely it means they don't care enough to comment one way or the
other.

> >>But once again why? Other programs don't force me
> >
> >Bobody forces you. Stop bitching about a few kB, and everything is
> >fine.
>
> It's not the few kilobytes that's the problem; it's the principle. It's
> a few kilobytes of random data today, several megabytes tomorrow...

IMO it's not the size but the clutter. I have a bunch of new
directories lying around and no idea why they're there unless I look
inside them. Also it makes mplayer a lot more of a pain to keep track
of and uninstall (although I can't imagine anyone wanting to uninstall
mplayer :) if desired.

Further, Gabu's horrible Makefile patch *hides* the command that
installs the translated manuals (I have a feeling he was hoping I'd
never notice them getting installed...), so users don't even know
they're getting the added bloat!

> >>1) IMHO most mplayer users need just one manpage and don't want to
> >>have
> >>   as much translation as possible.
> >
> >Most. If you have a multi-user system, you'll alienate those that
> >don't.
> >Your assertion can only be true for those that compile it on their
> >home box.
>
> Does it not seem fair to make the most commonly used setting the
> default? If people have a multi-user system where localisation is
> important, they would probably have a setup where it could be easily
> detected, using LINGUAS, LANG, etc. If people don't care about
> localisation, the setup

I have a multi-user system, but most people don't ssh in and try to
run mplayer on their remote X displays over my DSL, thankfully. :)
Since when does multi-user imply multi-lingual anyway?

> >>And BTW, if you want to have a look for other programs don't doing
> >>it, look
> >>at a lot of programs besides xine.
> >
> >I'm doing that. Just looking at a totally bogus, mis-created program
> >called
> >gcc-3.2 and doing a "grep -r LINGUA .". The hits I get are probably
> >all just
> >hallucinations.
>
> Are you sure it defaults to installing every single language it
> supports if the system environment does not support localisation? I.e.
> when LINGUA isn't set.

BTW, gcc 3.x IS a totally bogus, mis-created program. :))))

Rich