[mplayer-dev-eng] fixing installation of localized manpages

Dan Christiansen danchr at daimi.au.dk
Thu Feb 20 16:23:44 CET 2003

On Thursday, February 20, 2003, at 11:10 AM, Andreas Hess wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:02:24AM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> We'll see about that. Also, it doesn't allow to select the GUI
>> language if
>> you want all man pages.
>
> Blah!  If your system has a lot of international users, who need the
> manpage in their own language, the GUI should have the one language,
> that's most likely to be understood by all of those users.  And this
> is english.

I believe your making the same mistake as Gabucino; you're assuming
that you know better than the users what they want.

I have a suggestion for you:
a) if no language is given or detected assume English (this is what you
do now, isn't it?)
b) change the syntax of --language slightly so that --language="pl cz"
hard codes Polish into MPlayer and installs Polish, Czech and English
man pages. Handling all languages is done by detecting "all" as yet
another language which then enables every supported language, making
--language="pl all" valid.

- Dan