[MPlayer-dev-eng] 0.90.1 ???

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu May 22 00:07:51 CEST 2003

Hi,

> > I guess we should release some bugfix release of 0.90 soon...
> [...]
> >
> > Maybe it could be 0.91pre, and after few weeks of testing pre2 or
> > 0.91final
> I agree with this plan. Backporting new stuff to 0_90 is a lot of work,
> and IMHO doesn't worth the effort.

After quick reading that 4MB ~170.000 lines patch i tend to agree :)

> My opinion is release 0_90 as is and call it 0.90.1, and release CVS as
> 0.91.x series.

i vote for 0.91 and 0.99pre1

> There were some user-visible changes (i mean changes in command syntax)
> from 0_90 to CVS, so it makes sense to keep 0.90.x for some time,
> explaining clearly to the users that it's a stable
> bux-fix-only-no-new-features version.
> If someone wants all the new codecs-demuxers-filters-stuff should use
> the 0.91.x branch.

yes
we also could 'use' this feature-set difference to force users to test the
unstable code and send more bugreports :)
(the only problem is that bugreports are ignored as-is, so it doesn't really
matter if they send them or not :(((()

> Looks like there isn't a lot of people actively committing to MPlayer

yes :(((((

> at the moment, so i think that mantaining three versions (0_90, CVS and
> soon G2) is an overkill.

agree
we have no resources to maintain 0_90 any more.
we don't even have enough resources to maintain main and g2...
the problem is that there isn't a lot of people actively working on g2
neither :(

the only g2 patches i got are only for bsd, darwin and cygwin compatibility.
(so except some design ideas on maillist and irc, i'm alone on g2 development)

while i know (and said) that libvo2 API is stable now, also teh stream layer
of g2, so ppl. could start porting/rewriting stream/vo2 modules for g2.
and, when the major drivers are ported, we could replace g1's libvo and
stream layer too, by the g2 one.
(stream layer is compatible (stream.h is the same) and there is vf_vo2 for
vf-vo2 interface so it's also easy to use libvo2 with g1)

although i hope that g2 will be usable in a month, actually it's already
usable but lacks of config layer 1-3 (1-2: not implemented yet, 3 not designed
yet), you can even play mpeg, avi, asf and ogg files with perfect (much
better than g1) a-v sync using g2's sample app, test-play.c.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

--
Developer of MPlayer G2, the Movie Framework for all - http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu