[MPlayer-dev-eng] wishlist again

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed May 28 03:41:00 CEST 2003

Clemens W,bd(Bchter writes:
 > On Mon, 26 May 2003 02:50:33 +0200
 > Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
 >
 > > Documentation:
 > >
 > >  * a nice and complete MEncoder tutorial
 > >

 > Ok, I think a mencoder tutorial would be nice too, so....
 > until when should it be done? I'm a bit busy nowadays but
 > if you don't need it the next few days I would start one.

It should be finished when it's finished as usual.  I suspect this is
not a small project.

 > I often use mencoder so I think I know a bit about encoding,
 > but there are so many things one could include (how to choose
 > the right codec, get the settings right, encoding from/to
 > dvd/vcd/svcd/ogm/..., what effect do the different codec settings
 > have, how do the codecs work anyways, how to get the maximum
 > quality, how to capture from tv etc). For some of the topics
 > I need help, too (e.g. internal codec stuff, things I never
 > use (svcd ;-)).
 >
 > So... what do we need anyways? Help is offered if it is not
 > urgent and if someone is willing to help me out with a few
 > advanced topics.

I'm sure there will be help around, we just need to kick it off the
ground.

There was a thread about this on dev-eng starting on 2002/11/2 under
the subject

 [DOCS] encoding.html

because mphq is down.  When you have something, send it here for
review and we can all improve it together.

 > But I think that tere is a need on in-depth questions like
 > for example how a codec works since no one semms to have
 > ever done this and I did not find much information about it
 > myself. But if that was revealed I think one could better
 > estimate how a codec would behave in certain circumstances
 > but that tutorial could become a monster I admit.

Have a look at encoding.html.  Anything more complete and in-depth is
an improvement.  Really in-depth stuff can come later.

Diego