[MPlayer-dev-eng] cruft removal

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 1 17:03:47 CET 2003

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 03:06:24PM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,

> > > IMHO we should keep libcss support unless there is
> > > a very good reason to drop it.
> >
> > 	I am curious - what does libcss support do that libdvdcss does
> > 	not do?
>
> only ome thing comes into my mind: it may be faster.
> as it decrypt (decss) only sectors we're interested in (its called
> from mpeg demuxer after checking stream id) while libdvdcss does
> decrypt all sectors (its called from stream layer).
>
> but as decrypt is not a cpu hungry thing (afaik dvd is about 1,5 mbyte/sec)
> it doesn't matter so much.

IMO it would be very helpful if we could somehow do this with the new
libs... My system is usually fast enough for DVD now, but playing DVD
from the original disc is still noticably slower than playing a ripped
copy (-dumpstream), and I imagine the decryption is partially to
blame. For some people (~k6-2/400) it could really make a difference.

Rich