[MPlayer-dev-eng] access to first frame in decoder init()?

rsnel at cube.dyndns.org rsnel at cube.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 2 16:32:41 CET 2003

Hello,

vo_zr2.c and the corresponding passthroughfilter, vd_zrmjpeg.c, (as
discussed on the CVS list) are coming on nicely, but there is a small
problem:

vd_zrmjpeg.c needs access to the first encoded frame during init to decide
if the zoran hardware can handle the particular MJPEG format that it will
pass to it (and the interlacing type (which is needed during vo config);
the fourcc doesn't give enough information). Is there a clean way to
access that data from decoder init?

I RTFS'd and I noticed that some decoders (eg. vd_ffmpeg.c) defer the
vo configuration until during decoding the first frame, which is fine if
the vo configuration always succeeds. But if it does not succeed, MPlayer
barfs out instead of trying other decoders (like it will do if vo config
fails at an earlier stage).

Should I take the vd_ffmpeg approach despite the drawbacks, or is there a
clean way to access the first frame during decoder init?

Greetings,

Rik.

--
Nothing is ever a total loss; it can always serve as a bad example.