[MPlayer-dev-eng] Synchronization of players in LAN

J.A. Gutierrez spd at shiva.cps.unizar.es
Thu Nov 20 19:15:43 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 11:35:12AM +0000, Dave Lambley wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 09:14, J.A. Gutierrez wrote:
> >
> > 	I'm trying to synchronise several players running on several
> > 	computers connected to a dedicated 10/100 Ethernet switch. Each
> > 	one reads a different movie (video only) from its internal hard
> > 	disk, and resolution will be 768x576.

> So, to do what you're trying to do, you could buy lots of sound cards
> with an S/PDIF sync input. I suspect you don't want to do this.

	yes, right

> If you want audio on all the machines, you could write some code to make
> a master server transmit UDP packets with the current playback time. The
> slaves could then use af_resample to dynamically change the sample rate
> to keep in sync.
>
> If you don't need sound, you could write a dummy audio driver that just
> "dumps" audio when requested by the master.

	in fact, by now, this is the scenario: I don't need audio at all,
	so it seems it could be a good option.

	I recall having seen some audio broadcasting udp software
	(radio.c IIRC); maybe the master could broadcast a low
	quality null audio stream and then the slaves could have
	a daemon which receives the stream and passes it to mplayer
	for synchronisation...

> .. or there's Video Lan.

	I have been reading their page, but it seems is more oriented
	to broadcasting of streams; and for 6 video streams I don't
	think we have bandwidth enough.

	Thansk!

--
finger spd at shiva.cps.unizar.es for PGP      /
.mailcap tip of the day:                   /             La vida es una carcel