[MPlayer-dev-eng] tremor vs libvorbis, include tremor in main/

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Dec 1 16:59:04 CET 2004

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:25:39AM +0100, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >i'd actually like it if we could throw out the existing demux_ogg and
> >port the old "g2" demux_ogg to mplayer g1. why? it doesn't require
> >libogg crap but does all the demuxing on its own.
>
> i don't know much about ogg internals, but anyway, here is a first patch
> for internal tremor decoder.
>
> changes in existing files (review purposes only):
>
> http://kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz/~makovick/tremor-changes.diff
>
> complete patch:
>
> http://kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz/~makovick/tremor-complete.diff.bz2
>
> Tremor sources are Release 1.0 with math code imported from Trunk, which
> means it has original 1.0 API, while it can use the optional
> low-accuracy decoding. The DCT lookup tables are also much smaller than
> in the 1.0 version. There is a certain speedup (10-20%) over the
> original libvorbis, but my libvorbis is a stock unoptimized Debian
> package, so no surprise.

compiler optimizations are mostly irrelevant. the relevant fact is
that you're using a cpu where float is only somewhat slow (probably
athlon/p4). tremor will be 100%-10000% faster on other systems that
don't waste half the die on making useless float stuff fast, or that
don't have float support at all!

rich