[MPlayer-dev-eng] Posting rules in web page / welcome message

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Fri Dec 24 20:39:39 CET 2004

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 12:06:02 +0100
Guillaume Poirier <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:

> That makes perfect sense, and ideally this is the way to go, but how
> many "Joe users" have the courage to send patches when something is
> wrong/unclear in the doc?
> I guess that's where a wiki could make contributions easier. That's
> just a guess, though, as I've never used them...

Yes, but you don't want to have Joe User writing something
in a wiki. He'll assume that he's right with what he is doing
and everyone else will believe him although it's totaly wrong
(not to say BS). A wiki has to be reviewed by someone. But
there is noone who has the time for it and the knowledge.
I'd rather teach the Joe Users out there how OSS works and let
them send suggestions or problem reports instead of letting
them to something totaly stupid.

BTW: this aproach works for me quite well, by just asking
people where they had problems with the docs, i get quite
good feedback (and an ever growing todo list).

			Attila Kinali

--
All christians are terrorists.