[MPlayer-dev-eng] --enable-svga

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Thu Jan 1 23:15:52 CET 2004

Diego Biurrun said:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 06:30:47PM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
>> Well,well,well.
>> I told you that --enable is idiotic.
>> I was the one that wanted to change --enable to meen autodetected
>>(I also proposed --force to meen force), but I was threaten that my cvs
>> write access will be taken away if i do such thing.
>
> Well, hasn't everybody been threatened wth that some day? ;)
>
> It's pretty clear that this is a very disruptive change that should be
> discussed on dev-eng first.  IIRC you were going to do the "speak up or
> I'll commit in a few days" thing..  But let us not linger on this
> subject.
It was rejected (with flames).
If anybody is fearing that a change will add bugs, then he'd better
never write/change any code.
You know what is the opposite of debugging? -> Coding ;))

> I agree that --force is more intuitive than --enable and I would
>actually
> support such a change, but it is disruptive and backwards incompatible
> unless you add the same options twice.  Why not do it for G2 then?
>
> But --enable for autodetection is not intuitive either.  Besides having a

I would suppose it is intuitive, as the rest of the world use it
in that meaning. People don't care how the script have been created,
they expect same things to work the same way ;)

> switch for autodetection is missing the point anyway.  If you are
>supplying
> a build option you do not want autodetection.
>
> Anyway, I am going to add a few lines 'configure --help' that explain
>how
> configure works.  Maybe that helps clear up the constant confusion.

Well, there IS an inconsistency and a lot of confusion.
As you may have missed my point in the last thread I repeat it.
If the option is disabled by default, then --enable is enabling
auto-detection. I give xvmc as example, but there are others.

You see that a user cannot know what --enable will do for a
particulat funtion unless he look in the script. Even more -
if a function is changed from default disabled to
default auto-detected, then the script body should also be changed.
And this could adds bugs too;))

>> Arpi think's that the mplayer way, and Gabucino is happy if he can
>>confuse/abuse as many users as possible. The rest of developers don't want
>>to take side or doesn't care.
>> Or think that this is "a bug, but very small".
>
> See above.  I think your approach was backwards incompatible, that is
> the
> main problem.

Compatibility?
I have a script that makes local copy of mplayer runs configure with
default set of options and builds it. I usually set --enable on
experimental stuff.
Can you point an example where (e.g. gentoo) build script will need to
force something?

> I think that there is a consensus among the developers that having a
> possibility to force options avoiding autodetection is a good idea.

J/K. maybe they are too lazy to fix broken configure autodetection?

> Diego

Anyway, as I said I don't want more flames.
I'm not even a script kiddie;)

Best Regards
  Ivan Kalvachev
 iive