Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage (Modifié par Jérôme Cornet)

Jérôme Cornet jerome at aldorande.net
Tue Jan 13 10:40:47 CET 2004

Le 13 janv. 2004, à 9:57, Alban Bedel a écrit :

> Hi Jérôme Cornet,

Hi (and sorry for the silly mail subject "Modifié par ...")

> It would probably be a good idea to explain a bit more what you are
> doing, in particular if you intend to release the code, as some seems
> to alredy worry about licenses/legal stuff.

Yes, of course, even if I find a bit strange those kind of email answers
with just a question about license without any plain answer. (so thanks
for your email with complete answers). Maybe the word "QuickTime" sounds
ugly to many people on this list, but it is perfectly legal and
feasible to release
an open source codec for QuickTime itself, binaries and source code are
just
here : http://www.aldorande.net/codecs

So, to answer the question, the idea would be to make improvements to a
component i have made and released under GPL by adding an avi demuxer
to it.
Maybe this post will end up in a licensing flamewar about "not silly,
you just should
use LGPL instead " or "BSD" or ".... for your project", i don't quite
understand them much.
I really complain about bad guys like kiss technologies (by the way, if
you need some
help...) but my idea is after all to make every source code available.

>> How can i tell libmpdemux that i have changed my memory buffer? (by
>> it with new data)
>
> Afaik you can't do that with the current "memory stream". You probably
> need to write your own stream type wich interface with the API provided
> to your component.

That's the important point of my question. I then will try to write my
own one.
That's an important limitation you share with ffmpeg's libavformat :
you suppose every data will come from already known source (for
instance : network,
or unix FILE *) but there are no possibility to just provide the data
to the library after reading
it by a special, unsupported manner (in my case, data provided by the
OS). That could
be supported by providing a "memory stream" where the lib would read a
memory buffer
that the user could then fill with new data and tell libmpdemux "the
buffer has changed".

Thanks again for your quick and useful answer,

best regards,

jérôme