[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage (Modifié par Jérôme Cornet)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jan 14 07:32:38 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 05:17:59AM +0000, Adam Rice wrote:
> Quoting D Richard Felker III (dalias at aerifal.cx):
> > Not at all. Someone is perfectly free to make a plugin for a
> > proprietary system out of GPL code for their own private use, but the
> > GPL does not give them permission to distribute this derived work
> > since it is linked (even dynamically) to proprietary code.
>
> You missed my point. *When he distributes it* it's not linked against
> QuickTime. It may later be linked when a user runs it, but the linked version
> is never distributed. To prevent this would require a restriction on use,
> which the GPL v2 doesn't do.

This is NOT a restriction on use. It's a restriction on what you can
do when preparing derived works. If you make a derived work that hooks
the code into the QuickTime API, and distribute a binary of that which
is dynamically linked to and intended to be used with QuickTime, that
is definitely not permitted by the GPL, and thus distributing that
binary is copyright infringement.

Rich