Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage (Modifié par Jérôme Cornet)

Jérôme Cornet jerome at aldorande.net
Wed Jan 14 20:01:01 CET 2004

Le 14 janv. 2004, à 18:12, D Richard Felker III a écrit :

> No, QuickTime certainly does not meet this exemption. The exemption is
> for when the GPL program needs to use the OS libraries to utilize and
> run on the underlying system, NOT so the underlying system can use the
> GPL program as one of its components.

Dishonesty is endless...

Samba, Apache, Cups are key components of MacOS X. They are GPL but
distributed and used with MacOS X which not released under GPL.

> Besides, QuickTime is a movie
> player, not part of the OS.

That statement proves you don't know about what you are talking.
 From version 1.0 to 6.5, QuickTime is system library, not a movie
player.
Under MacOS X, it is located at
/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework.
The movie player is a separate app, called "QuickTime Player", located
at /Applications/QuickTime Player.app. You could use a completly
different application
to play your movie and still be using QuickTime, if the app supports
that.

> Integrating apps with the OS install does
> not let you work around the intent of the GPL.

No, of course, but it is a gentle way to point out to that section of
the GNU FAQ :
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCGPLInProprietarySystem

Maybe the Safari case did not inspire you : integrating khtml (GNU)
into proprietary software,
in the same binary...
Here we are just talking about integrating GPL software (libmpdemux)
into GPL software (FFusion)...

Jérôme