[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: help on libmpdemux usage

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at irisa.fr
Mon Jan 19 15:33:41 CET 2004

Billy Biggs wrote:

>   The discussion is about the license because there are a lot of authors
> in parts of mplayer, and most code is released under the GPL.  Short of
> getting them all on a conference call together, the only way to resolve
> anything is to discuss the license itself.

You don't need to IMHO. At least one author doesn't want
his code to be used that way, in my book it's enough to
prevent the use. Unless the other authors insist the use
is legit, but I doubt it will happen. And anyway, one "no"
is enough to prevent the use until the issue is resolved
anyway.

>   Unfortunately, you're posting a lot of nitpicks about "QuickTime" and
> not listening to the responses about the GPL.

I don't think that explaining how mplayer uses QuickTime
is "nitpicking", it simply explaining a technical issue.
With a 3% or so marketshare, it's perfectly natural that
most unix/windows/whatever developer don't know what
QuickTime really is inside MacOSX.

 > Most of the people
> responding to you don't care how Apple names their libraries, simply
> about what you do with them and how their source code was licensed.

Yep, and I was explaining "what you do with them". That's
meaningful on a -dev list, I believe. And the one they
happen to call "QuickTime" does a lot more in the system
than just supplying codecs, unlike what many developers
seem to believe. I guess the naming sucks :-)

>   I think I can convince you why the original poster's suggestion
> violated the GPL, but not if you won't listen.  (and I'll do so via
> private mail, not this list).

You may be able to convince me. I think I did listen up
to now, but I 'm sure I don't really care - again, if one
of the author says no, to me it's enough. The GPL will
become relevant if someone decide to go against the will
of one of the developer... I most definitely won't.

--
Romain Dolbeau