[MPlayer-dev-eng] --enable-svga

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Tue Jan 20 02:18:37 CET 2004

* Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> [2003-12-30 16:00:39 +0100]:

<snip>
> Surprise, surprise, this is exactly the way it works today, under a
> different name.

No it isn't, as I already mentioned at my first posting.
You have to (machine doable) way for finding out:

    a) which features are supported
    b) what dependencies does each feature have
    c) which features are enabled by default
    d) can a feature be built in on this system (autodetec)
    e) how to enable/disable a specific feature
    f) in what version a feature has been introduced
    g) which stability levels the features have

... consistent over all versions.

Reading ./configure --help by hand and playing around with it on
each version is suitable for developers and testers, but not for
"normal users" and package maintainers.

As I already told, it can be done completely automatically, if you
go away from hardcoding evrything by hand and let the computer use a
very simple description of the information noted above.

And: _NO_ - I don't want to autogenerate macros, which generate
shellscripts, which generate makefiles. A couple of minimal shellscripts
which generate a small build.mk files defining just some variables
would do the job very well.

The current ./configure maybe does its current job quite well, but
its definitely not enough for doing completely automated builds.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481