[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPEG-1/2 - Problems with ratecontrol!

Rui Correia rds_correia at sapo.pt
Sun Jul 4 13:25:21 CEST 2004

Hi there,
I come from a big community that has been trying MEncoder with good
results so far.
That is KVCD community at www.kvcd.net/forum .
We only do MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 targets.
We use the vbitrate, vrc_minrate and vrc_maxrate.
And that's our problem!
- When we use min and max bitrate MEncoder blows the quantizers.
- And mostly doesn't respect the min and max levels...
We know other libavcodec encoders have the same problem like, ffmpeg,
Milan's FFvfw, Nic's QuEnc, etc.
Could someone tell us if the MPlayer Team is still supporting
MPEG-1/2?
Because we've seen from the CVS the changes are mostly
addressed to fix MPEG-4 related issues :(
If the MPlayer Team still supports MPEG-1/2 can they tell us if they
knew about this issue?
And if they think it's "fixable"?
If you don't or if you plan on stop supporting MPEG-1/2
can you point us to the source files where we should look
to fix this issue?
We already know of ratecontrol.c but that file is too poorly
documented for us :(
We wouldn't know what is what and where to start :(
Thanks in advance
Cheers

Rui