[MPlayer-dev-eng] Suggestion/question about the "MPlayer name change"

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 9 16:48:15 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 11:41:08AM +0100, ANDREAS SETTERLIND wrote:
> Hi MPlayer-Team,
>
> I have a question or maybe it's more of a suggestion about the MPlayer name
> change from "MPlayer - The Movie Player for Linux" to "MPlayer - The Movie
> Player".
>
> This question/suggestion is; before people get used to the new name why not
> change it again to "MPlayer - The Media Player" instead? (or alternatively
> "MPlayer - The Multimedia Player"?), I mean even though MPlayer was foremost
> designed by it's initial creators/devs to work best as a movie/video player it
> has developed since then and now plays most pure audio files (like .MP3, .AAC,
> .FLAC, etc.) very well too, so why not simple call it a
> media/multimedia-player like it is instead of 'just' a movie player?

I don't think that's the intent. Originally the developers were
opposed to supporting audio-only files at all, and now they're
supported, but there's no intent to do stuff like crossfades,
visualization, fancy playlist stuff, etc. for audio at this time since
MPlayer is primarily a movie player.

> my 2 cents ;-)
>
> PS! Maybe if you make the name-change from "Movie" to "Media" more developers
> will see it as such and keep enhancing/extending that part of MPlayer too,
> ...maybe set a long-term goal to be better than Foobar2000 on that area =D

MPlayer was better than this "Foobar" crap at v0.1...

Rich