[MPlayer-dev-eng] Indentation changes in patches

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Mon Jul 12 13:54:05 CEST 2004

On Monday 12 July 2004 12:53, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> My last patch did not get applied as it was, because it ``changed''
> indentation. It got applied in two steps, first functional changes
> and after that the indentation ``changes''. But this is stupid and
> should definitely be changed.
>
> To make it clear here is an example of the indentation ``change'':
>
> OLD code:
> dothis()
> this = that;
> goaway( TRUE );
>
> NEW code:
> if ( we_are_not_completely_insane() )
> {
>   dothis()
>   this = that;
>   goaway( TRUE );
> }
>
> I think this change conforms to the rules in patches.txt and doesn't
> ``change'' indentation. It only corrects it for the modifications.
> Don't get me wrong: i'm against changing indentation out of the range
> of the patch, but her it is needed because else the indentation gets
> broken. And always making to seperate patches is no solution on the
> long run. Also the code is easier to be detected as changed, and it
> has changed in meaning even if the chars are the same.
>
> I the newly indented code should be considered as new patch code and
> the old should be considered as removed cause it anyway gives the code
> a different meaning.
>
> Changes of this type maybe should be rejected as cosmetics if they
> don't indent according to the rest of the file...
> ... but that's another story.
>
> Please comment on what you think about it.

My personal opinion on this is that the reindention you described is ok
as long as it does not reindent big parts of the code. 10-15 lines or so might
be ok. In cvs howto this limit seems to be 5 lines

<Quote>
 NOTE: If you had to put if(){ .. } over a large (> 5 lines) chunk of code,
 do NOT change the indentation of the inner part (move it right)!
</Quote>

Sascha