[MPlayer-dev-eng] bugzilla states

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Jul 14 18:16:03 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 03:20:54PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:

> > > I think "Verified" is very confusing and non-intuitive in this
> > > definition.
> > >
> > > If verified is to be used as "Someone checked the fix and it's ok",
> > > couldn't it be named something different?
> > >
> > > Intuitively to me, "VERIFIED" has the oposite meaning of "UNCONFIRMED",
> > > and would be the next natural step in the bug's lifecycle from
> > > unconfirmed.
> >
> > The opposite of UNCONFIRMED is confirmed, plain and simple.  It's just
> > a matter of getting used to the semantics of the different words in
> > the Bugzilla context.  If somebody acknowledges that a bug is real it
> > is CONFIRMED, if somebody checks a resolution and agrees, then the
> > resolution is VERIFIED.
> UNCONFIRMED->CONFIRMED->... is fine, but UNCONFIRMED->NEW and VERIFIED is very
> confussing, NEW should be renamed to CONFIRMED and VERIFIED should be renamed
> to FIXED&VERIFIED IMHO, or some other choice of names is fine too, just the
> default is not IMHO

VERIFIED can not only be FIXED&VERIFIED but any resolution, so you have

VERIFIED FIXED
VERIFIED WORKSFORME
VERIFIED INVALID
VERIFIED DUPLICATE

etc

> btw, why are u so strongly against changing the names? i cant see any
> disadvantage in changing them

I'm not fundamentally or strongly opposed to changing those names, but I
think things are being approached from the wrong angle.  Really, I mean no
offense, but IMNSHO people should first learn to use the software and then
come up with changes.  So far I have only seen comments from people with
little or no Bugzilla experience and some don't even appear to have read

http://bugzilla.mplayerhq.hu/bug_status.html

I'm quite used to Bugzilla and I find it neither counterintuitive nor
particularly hard to use.  It IS tailored to the way Mozilla is developed,
though (and I have my background there), so we will most surely need to make
some changes to adapt it to our needs.  I'm just afraid the changes
suggested so far are partially the result of not being used to the way
Bugzilla works.  Bugzilla takes some time to get used to, I'm afraid there
is no way around this.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, it's not meant to be, I'm just suggesting to
play around with it a bit more, we can later tune it to our hearts content.

Diego