[MPlayer-dev-eng] mplayer sets number of channels incorrectly

attila attila at pai.kinali.ch
Sun Jul 18 08:30:52 CEST 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 02:34:55PM +0000, Alexander Macdonald wrote:

> I have a surround sound setup so when I play a 2-channel sound I'd like it
> to be upmixed(just copy the channels, nothing fancy) alsa does this nicely
> for me. However when I play a dvd or something with 5.1 sound mplayer
> downmixes it to 2 channels , I can get around this by passing mplayer
> "-channels 6" and it correctly plays the file . the problem is that when I
> play a 2 channel file with "-channels 6" mplayer sticks in blank channels
> which stops the upmixing from happening..... Is there any way I can tell
> mplayer to just use the number of channels from the file? Or do I just not
> understand what is going on?

Does MPlayer automaticaly downmix anything to two channels ?
If so, this is a serious bug, downmix should only happen if
the ao driver cannot provide as many channels as needed.
Can someone please have a look at this ?

(sorry, cant do it myself as i dont have any sample files
here and i also dont have the time to read the code)

			Attila Kinali