[MPlayer-dev-eng] mga_vid useable under plain vesa console

attila attila at pai.kinali.ch
Mon Jul 19 08:48:44 CEST 2004

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:15:52AM +0200, justin case wrote:
> i just figured something out, wich might be of interrest but might be as
> well known already:
>
> when i use -vo mga under x and kill x i can use -vo mga on my actual
> plain vesa console, where i normally have to start the
> matrox-framebuffer at least in order to be able to use it.

Sounds intersting. But, why dont you use the matrox fb ?
It's factors faster than vesa.

> i don't know how things are initialized but obviously there would be a
> way to initialize mga_vid in a way to make it useable as a console
> output driver.

I dont know what should be initialized, but i dont think
it could be done w/o disturbing x or matroxfb.
If someone thinks differently, please show me how
(side note: i dont have the time nor interest in digging
up this stuff as using matroxfb solves it)

			Attila Kinali