[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Flaming NUT

attila attila at pai.kinali.ch
Mon Jul 19 13:44:12 CEST 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 03:36:45PM -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> As far as replacing AVI for the 'scene' goes, warez monkeys will
> always be idiots. Half of these losers still encode with NanDub and

Too true. I just watched Avenger and Gokusen (from A-Keep, resp
AonE) and was suprised how many encoding artifacts and
sometimes even filter problems it had.
Or maybe i'm too spoiled by zx.

> DivX3, and even the "progressive" groups only use DivX5 or
> occasionally XviD, never libavcodec's mpeg4 (which is a good bit
> better)... I'm not saying it's a lost cause, but it'll take a long
> time for them to convert. The anime scene is a much better target
> since anime needs things like mixed-framerate, subtitles, etc.

That's only true for a few. The "big groups" actualy dont care
that much about perfect encoding, for them the sub and translation
quality is everything. They will also not switchh that easily
to nut as it doesn't have any advantages over avi for
2 channel audio and hardsubs. [1]

On the other hand we have an increasing number of dvd ripping
groups who use ogm and mkv for their multi channel/multi stream
audio and different sub streams. Those should be quite easy
to catch as they like features as long as their is an easy
way for the user to use it.
ZX is one of the extream examples here, as they are the first
ones who try new formats/methods. Remember, they were the first
ones who used ogm as container when the world didnt even know
that it existed. They were also to my knowledge the first group
who used mencoder/lavc for encoding.

			Attila Kinali

[1] and i somewhat have to acknowlege this. I also think that
a better translation justifies a slightly worse video quality.
But having both would be ideal....