[MPlayer-dev-eng] FFII software patent demo, politics, KiSS

attila attila at kinali.ch
Wed Jul 21 15:07:52 CEST 2004

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:58:18AM +0900, attila wrote:

> > The libdvdcss library makes use of the DeCSS algorithm, that has been
> > declared illegal in some country (e.g. USA and Germany), so before adding
> > it I suggest you to make sure it is ok to use it in your country.
>
> I know i'm late, but i have to say again, that there are
> countries where CSS (yes, CSS not DeCSS) is illegal.
> One example i know quite well is Switzerland where copyright laws
> (yes, the evil thing called copyright) prohibits country based
> restrictions on distribution of any artwork.

One additional thing: Swiss law explicitly allows
reverse engineering for compatibility proposes if you own
a product legaly. And as noone can prevent anyone from buying
a dvd they cannot prevent any reverse engineering.
Thus they would have to change 2 laws, which makes it even more
unlikely.

(sidenote: this makes also all licenses including reverse
engineering prohibitions invalid, i wonder how a curt would handle
a case where someone would reverse engineer such software)

			Attila Kinali