[MPlayer-dev-eng] Strange XV behavior

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Fri Jul 23 01:04:37 CEST 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 02:00:59PM -0500, Joey Parrish wrote:
> I'm having weird issues with XV.  I never noticed them until I started
> trying to get tv-out to work under linux.  To do so, I changed my XFree
> resolution to 800x600 (used to be 1280x768.)
>
> Suddenly, all my divx movies are doing strange scaling things.  For
> example, with a 480x360 divx movie:
>
> mplayer -vo x11 # 480x360 window, picture correct
> mplayer -vo xv  # 480x360 window, picture cut off at the bottom
> mplayer -vo xv -vf expand=480:472,scale=480:360,dsize=4/3 # all correct
>
> I should never have to use expand to see the whole picture...
>
> I'm guessing it's specific to my setup somehow.  If this happened to
> everyone, I'm sure there'd be howling.  Any suggestions?

I found out more!  It's my laptop's fault.  Don't have a fix...
When I set my LCD to expand the picture to fill the whole screen, vo_xv
acts the way it's supposed to.  When I set my LCD to leave black space
around the unused portion of the screen, vo_xv does the strange cutting
off the picture thing.  And with vo_x11, it always does the right thing.

I'm stumped.  Anybody have any clues?  Why would xv do it wrong but x11
do it right?

> Standard info for my system:
> Lifebook P2120
> Crusoe proc
> Radeon Mobility video card
> Arch Linux distro
> XFree86 4.4.0 with 'ati' and 'radeon' drivers
> latest CVS MPlayer with xv & libavcodec compiled in

Thanks,
--Joey

--
"There are trivial truths and there are great truths.  The opposite of a
trivial truth is plainly false.  The opposite of a great truth is also true."