[MPlayer-dev-eng] Switching to gtk2.0

Gianluigi Tiesi mplayer at netfarm.it
Sat Jul 31 05:22:24 CEST 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 12:35:35PM +0200, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 02:44:58AM +0200, Gianluigi Tiesi wrote:
> > Using gtk2 can permit also compiling gui on win32.
> >
> Why should this help? It compiles even in the given version under
> win32 AFAIK, if you try hard. But that is because of the X deps
> in the GUI. A transition to GTK2 and away from X is planned but it
> will be somehow more involved then just switching libs.
>
>   Alex (beastd)

Gtk1.2 doesn't exists on windows, there are 1.3 + glib2.0 versions around
but ar not very suitable.
I've looked into gui source and yes there is a lot of non win32
portable stuff.
Btw I think mplayer should move to gtk2 since most of additional stuff
compiled in has already support for version 2 of glib2 then mplayer
whould be linked against glib1.2 and glib2.0 (at least on my system).
The first step can be switching only the libs (it should be harmfull).
The second step should be remove the X11-only code and use the
corresponding stuff in gtk2.0 so mplayer will have a gui also on win32.
Mplayer on win32 is yet a good alternative to the bugged directshow
system, that loses often the audio/video sync. But most of users
are not happy to use a command line player on windows (perhaps this is
not directly my problem).
There is no way to make a gui port on win32 with gtk1.2.
Anyway I can help the porting, I'm not a win32 gui expert programmer
but I've a base knowledge of the win32 gui system and a more deep
knowledge of the win32 subsystem.

Best Regards

--
Gianluigi Tiesi <sherpya at netfarm.it>