[MPlayer-dev-eng] printf -> mp_msg conversion (etc.), first patches

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jul 31 05:11:05 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 08:47:00PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> Gyaaaah. I don't know why I bother...
>
> The Wanderer wrote:
>
> >D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >
> >>On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 03:36:07PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
> >Do any of the MSGTRs I mentioned need to be moved back to the souce
> >files to make an acceptable patch, or will making the
> >MSGL_ERR-related changes be enough?
>
> I still need an answer to this question in order to continue - or rather

Leave the MSGTRs as they are. If somebody cares he would have spoken
up until now.

One issue i've seen is, that you changed MSGTR_Exiting to
MSGTR_ExitingHow, which is actualy a good thing[tm], but you should
repeat that change everywhere where MSGTR_Exiting is used otherwise
mplayer will segfault.

> I would, except that by this point if I ever resume the project I'm
> liable to just start over from scratch.
>
> I really don't *want* to abandon this, but at certain points (including
> especially the early stages when I don't yet entirely have my feet under
> me) I'm going to need feedback on exactly what I need to do differently;
> if I'm not going to get it, I'm not going to be able to proceed.

Same here, this printf->mp_msg work should be finished.
mplayer defintily needs more overall consistency.
To much stuff is still done the way how it was 3 years ago,
which is bad.

> >Or am I doing something completely wrong?
>
> This has been bugging at me off and on, and I honestly don't understand
> what you were suggesting I do. Here are the possibilities as I
> understand them.

Neither do i, and currently Rich is away so he cannot clarify this.

> 1) Make a copy of the CVS-tree source file, make (say) the MSG*_FISME
> changes to it, make a diff. The resulting patch contains lines like
>
> ==
> -     printf("foo");
> +     mp_msg(MSGT_FIXME, MSGL_FIXME, "foo");
> ==
>
> 2) Make a second copy of the same source file, make the MSGTR changes,
> make a diff of that. The resulting patch contains lines like
>
> ==
> -     printf("foo");
> +     printf(MSGTR_FOO);
> ==
>
> After either of these patches has been applied, unless CVS is *much*
> smarter than I think it is, the other one will either no longer apply
> correctly or - at minimum - replace the changes which were made by the
> first patch.

Yes, this wont work.

> 3) Make a copy of the CVS-tree source file, make the MSG*_FIXME changes
> to it, make and submit a diff, make the MSGTR changes to the *same*
> source file, make a second diff - which will duplicate all of the
> changes in the previous patch, and will probably not apply correctly
> because the lines to be changed no longer exist in their previous form.
>
> I simply don't see any way, other than waiting to make the second
> patch until after the first one has been applied, to get around either
> of these. If there is one, I'd be very glad to know it.

Hmm.. i'd say go on with the one patch aproach, no need to make
it overcomplicated.

			Attila Kinali